Methods for Spectrographic Analysis of Lubricating Oils / F. R. Bryan
- Conference Author:
- Symposiums on Railroad Materials: Lubricating Oils (1956 : Los Angeles, Calif.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (5 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Bryan, F. R.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- For several years, a variety of spectrographic methods has been used by railroad and petroleum laboratories for the determination of wear metals in used diesel locomotive crankcase oils. These methods have, in general, met the needs of individual laboratories, since each method is fairly self-consistent and therefore useful in detecting any major change in the metal content of the lubricant. For the purpose of monitoring a particular locomotive over a period of time, apparently any one of numerous methods might be employed with satisfactory results. However, with the rapid adoption of spectrographic analysis of used oils, there came the inevitable necessity of comparing the results of one laboratory with another, and one method with another. Opposing methods were found to provide distinctly different absolute values within a given laboratory, and a single method could seldom be made to reproduce results from laboratory to laboratory. With this situation existing in early 1951, ASTM Committee D-2 on Petroleum Products was asked to investigate the possibility of standardizing spectrographic procedures for the analysis of used diesel locomotive crankcase oils. Within ASTM Committee D-2, the assignment falls under the jurisdiction of Research Division III on Elemental Analysis, and has become the major responsibility of Section J of Research Division III. Section J has a membership of approximately 40 representatives of petroleum, railroad, and locomotive manufacturing laboratories.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1957, Issue 214 (January 1957)
- 9780803169074 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1957. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28000378