Correlation between Cooling Curves Obtained with a Silver Probe and Quenching Properties of 5140 Steel Bars / R. S. Wang, Y. Wang, L. P. Su.
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- A computational method for the prediction of cooling curves at the center of a steel bar using experimentally measured cooling time-temperature data obtained from a cylindrical silver probe was developed based on nonsteady state heat conduction equations. This method involves: (1) the calculation of the critical size of the steel bar which is defined as the smallest size where no film boiling occurs, and (2) initial state of cooling of the steel bar in the quenchant, and the critical heat transfer coefficient of the quenching medium during nucleate boiling. This method was successfully used to: calculate the cooling curves at different locations within a 5140 steel bar which was quenched in three different quenching media, the hardness distribution, and French's n and C values. The calculated data were validated against experimentally measured data. Using this method, it was shown that the critical heat transfer coefficient between the quenching medium and the steel bar is less than the critical heat transfer coefficient between the quenching medium and the silver probe. A logarithmic relationship between these two coefficients was established which can be used to simplify the calculations.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2010, Issue 1523 (January 2010)
- 9780803184176 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 20.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2010. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28000622