Aluminum-Lithium Alloys : Evaluation of Fracture Toughness by Two Test Standards, ASTM Method E 813 and E 1304 / PT. Purtscher, JD. McColskey, ES. Drexler
- Conference Author:
- Chevron-Notch Fracture Test Experience: Metals and Non-Metals (1991 : Indianapolis, Indiana)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (21 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Drexler, ES.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Fracture toughness of three aluminum-lithium alloys and Alloy 2219 (a total of nine different plates) was measured with two different types of specimens and methods: (1) compact specimens using ASTM E 813 and (2) chevron-notched short-bar specimens using ASTM E 1304. The properties were measured in two orientations (T-L and L-T) and at three temperatures (295,76, and 4 K). In general, the short-bar specimens exhibited a higher fracture toughness than the compact specimens. The difference between the two procedures was relatively constant, independent of test orientation and strength. However, when the specimens exhibited extensive delaminations on the fracture surface, the compact specimens had a higher fracture toughness than the short bar specimens. The difference in fracture toughness measured by the two procedures is explained in terms of the alloys' crack growth behavior.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1992, Issue 1172 (January 1992)
- 9780803152199 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 11.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1992. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28001488