Effects of Strength, Permeability, and Air Void Parameters on Freezing-Thawing Resistance of Concrete with and without Air Entrainment / Gilson Lomboy, Kejin Wang
- Wang, Kejin
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (20 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Lomboy, Gilson, American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- The present research is aimed at investigating effects of concrete properties, particularly concrete rapid chloride permeability, strength, and air void parameters, on freezing-thawing (FT) resistance. In this study, concrete mixtures are made with different types of cement (Types I with 15 % class C fly ash and Type IP cements), different water-to-binder ratios (w/b=0.25, 0.35, 0.45, and 0.55), and with or without air entraining agent. The 28-day compressive strength, rapid chloride permeability, and FT durability of the concrete are determined according to ASTM C873, C1202, and C666A, respectively. The air void parameters of the concrete are measured with air void analyzer, Rapid Air, and porosity (ASTM C642) tests. The results indicate that although concrete made with a low w/b (<=0.35) has low rapid chloride permeability (<=1320 C), it generally still requires proper air entrainment for a desirable FT resistance (with a durability factor of >=85 %), except for the concrete having very low rapid chloride permeability (520 C) and very high 28-day compressive strength (88 MPa or 12 760 psi). For the non-air-entrained concrete studied, there are clear relationships between FT durability and porosity, w/b, and permeability. However, such relationships do not exist for air-entrained concrete. The FT resistance of air-entrained concrete is largely dependent on the concrete air void characteristics.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2010, Issue 1511 (January 2010)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803184237 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 25.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2010. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28001746