Childhood Factors Related Potentially to Respiratory Health in Adulthood / FW. Henderson, AM. Collier
- Conference Author:
- Susceptibility to Inhaled Pollutants (1987 : Williamsburg, VA)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (7 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Collier, AM.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Lower respiratory infections in early childhood, asthma and wheezy syndromes not diagnosed asthma, allergy, airway hyperreactivity, and passive and active tobacco smoke exposure are all related to the level of small airway function measured by spirometry (average expiratory flow rate during the middle half of the exhaled force vital capacity [FEF 25-75] and expiratory flow rate at 50% of the exhaled forced vital capacity [Vmax-50] analyzed most often) in middle childhood. There is a strong tendency for children to maintain their relative levels of spirometric performance through childhood into adolescence and young adulthood (tracking). Therefore, factors that are related to the level of lung function in early to middle childhood are also associated with functional status in late childhood, adolescence, and young adulthood. Since starting level of lung function in early to middle adulthood is related to rate of loss of lung function in later adulthood, childhood factors have the potential for influencing patterns of decline in lung function in adulthood and the risk of developing symptomatic obstructive airway disease in later life.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1989, Issue 1024 (January 1989)
- 9780803150850 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 31.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1989. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28001808