Tungsten Alloy Fiber Reinforced Nickel Base Alloy Composites for High-Temperature Turbojet Engine Applications / D. W. Petrasek, R. A. Signorelli
- Conference Author:
- Composite Materials: Testing and Design (1969 : New Orleans, La.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (12 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Petrasek, D. W., Signorelli, R. A., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access. and Subscription required for access to full text.
- The potential of tungsten-2 percent thoria, 218 tungsten, and tungsten-1 percent thoria wire reinforced nickel-base superalloy composites for turbine bucket applications was evaluated based on stress-rupture strength, oxidation, and impact resistance. The results indicate that refractory metal alloy fiber-superalloy composites have potential for turbine bucket use based on the properties measured. Composites were produced having stress-rupture properties superior to conventional cast superalloys at use temperatures of 2000 and 2200 F. The 100 and 1000-h stress-rupture strength of the composite at 2000 F was 49,000 and 37,000 psi, respectively. A few thousands of an inch of matrix or cladding material was found to be sufficient to protect the fibers from oxidation at 2000 F for times up to 300 h. At 300 F and above the impact resistance of the composite compares favorably with that of superalloys.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1969, Issue 460 (January 1969)
- 9780803100176 and 9780803189041 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 7.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition., Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., and Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1969. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28001844