Constant-Amplitude Fatigue Behavior of Five Carbon or Low-Alloy Cast Steels at Room Temperature and ¿̐ư45¿̐ưC / RI. Stephens, JH. Chung, SG. Lee, HW. Lee, A. Fatemi, C. Vacas-Oleas
- Conference Author:
- Fatigue at Low Temperatures (1983 : Louisville, Kentucky)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (21 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Chung, JH.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Five common carbon or low-alloy cast steels¿̐ưSAE 0030, SAE 0050A, C-Mn, Mn-Mo and AISI 8630¿̐ưwere subjected to constant-amplitude fatigue tests at room temperature and at the common low climatic temperature of ¿̐ư45¿̐ưC (¿̐ư50¿̐ưF). Tests included smooth specimen axial low and high cycle fatigue and compact type (CT) specimen crack growth behavior from 10¿̐ư5 n/cycle (4 ¿̐ư 10¿̐ư4 in./cycle) to threshold values at 10¿̐ư10 m/cycle (4 ¿̐ư 10¿̐ư9 in./cycle). Three of the five steels had nil ductility transition temperatures above the low test temperature. Despite this, all five cast steels showed equivalent or better fatigue resistance at the low temperature, except for some very short life low-cycle fatigue tests and for some very high fatigue crack growth rates where fracture was imminent. Scanning electron fractographic analysis indicated that ductile type fatigue crack growth mechanisms with or without striations occurred for all steels at both test temperatures except for a few interdispersed cleavage facets in 0050A steel at very high crack growth rates. At the low temperature, monotonic and cyclic stress-strain properties Su, Sy, and Sy' increased by an average of about 10%, fatigue limits increased from 2 to 25%, and ?Kth increased from 0 to 90%. No consistent correlations existed between fatigue and monotonic properties at either temperature. Mean stress effects at near ?Kth levels appeared to be influenced by crack closure.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1985, Issue 857 (January 1985)
- 9780803149243 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 15.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1985. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28002042