Shear Deformation Analysis of the Energy Release Rate of Transverse Cracking in Laminated Composites / P. Sriram, EA. Armanios
- Conference Author:
- Composite Materials: Fatigue and Fracture: Fifth Volume (5th : 1993 : Atlanta, Georgia)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (17 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Armanios, EA.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- The low transverse strength properties of laminated composites often result in matrix cracking in off-axis plies as the initial failure mode. Strength-based theories are generally inadequate for modeling such phenomena, while fracture mechanics-based approaches offer significantly better potential. The shear deformation model developed in a previous publication to predict the stiffness loss associated with matrix cracking is extended to yield the strain energy release rate and hence load versus crack spacing predictions. These predictions are shown to be in reasonable agreement with experimental data for graphite/epoxy systems also. The shear deformation model can also be applied to other laminate configurations, for example, (¿̐ư25/90n)s type.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1995, Issue 1230 (January 1995)
- 9780803152977 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 25.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1995. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28002423