Fracture of Glass-Epoxy Laminates Under Torsion and Combined Tension-Torsion Loads / JK. Sen, JC. Fish
- Conference Author:
- Composite Materials: Fatigue and Fracture: Fifth Volume (5th : 1993 : Atlanta, Georgia)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (27 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Fish, JC., Sen, JK., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
Subscription required for access to full text.
- Machine generated contents note: Experimental Development of a Mixed-Mode Fatigue Delamination Criterion / P. Sriram / Y. Khourchid / Steven J. Hooper / Roderick H. Martin -- Mode I and Mode II Delamination Growth of Interlayer Toughened Carbon/Epoxy (T800H/3900-2) Composite System / Kazuro Kageyama / Isao Kimpara / Isamu Ohsawa / Masaki Hojo / Shigenori Kabashima -- Interlaminar Fracture Toughness of Glass Fiber Laminates Additionally Reinforced with Carbon Bead / Jung-J. Lee / Stephen L. Ogin / Paul A. Smith -- Delamination of Carbon/Epoxy Laminates Under Cyclic Mode II Loading / Karl Kussmaul / Mathias V. Alberti / Ulrich Eisele / Thomas Schneider -- Mode III Delamination Using a Split Cantilever Beam / Farhad Sharif / Mark T. Kortschot / Roderick H. Martin -- Mixed Mode Interlaminar Fracture Toughness of Unidirectional Glass/Epoxy Composite / Xiao-Jing Gong / Malk Benzeggagh -- Improvement of Delamination Resistance with Carbon Nonwoven Mat Interleaves / Eileen Armstrong-Carroll / Roland Cochran -- Mode I and Mode II Fracture Toughness Measured Between Differently Oriented Plies in Graphite/Epoxy Composites / Iton Chou / Isao Kimpara / Kazuro Kageyama / Isamu Ohsawa -- Prediction of Energy Release Rate for Edge Delamination Using a Crack Tip Element Approach / Barry D. Davidson -- Stress and Energy Based Fracture Conditions for Fiber-Wise Splitting in Composites / N. Suresh / Albert S. D. Wang -- Modeling of Accumulated Damage and Failure of Multidirectional Composite Plates Subjected to In-Plane Loads / Iqbal Shahid / Fu-Kuo Chang -- Shear Deformation Analysis of the Energy Release Rate of Transverse Cracking in Laminated Composites / P. Sriram / Erian A. Armanios -- A Random-Damage Finite Element for Modeling Failure in Advanced Composite Materials / Kerry T. Slattery -- Stacking Sequence Effects and Delamination Growth in Graphite/Epoxy Laminates Under Compression-Dominated Fatigue Loading / Jerzy P. Komorowski / Dominique Lefebvre / Clermont Roy / Catherine Randon -- The Effect of Graphite Fiber Properties on Microcracking Due to Thermal Cycling of Epoxy-Cyanate Matrix Laminates / Brian J. Knouff / Stephen S. Tompkins / N. Jayaraman -- Marine Environmental Effects of Polymer Matrix Composites / Frederic Pomies / Leif A. Carlsson / John W. Gillespie, Jr. -- Observations of the Load Redistribution in Polymeric Composite Laminates Under Tension-Tension Fatigue Loading / Mark P. Connolly / David L. Davidson -- A New Test for Compression Testing of Impregnated Tows / Douglas S. Cairns -- Non-Penetrating Impact Behavior of CFRP at Low and Intermediate Velocities / Daniel Delfosse / Anoush Poursartip / Brian R. Coxon / Ernest F. Dost -- Post-Impact Fatigue Response of Stitched Composites / Darwin G. Moon / John M. Kennedy -- Impact and Fatigue Resistance of a [actual symbol not reproducible] 3-D Braided Carbon Epoxy Composite / Marc A. Portanova / Jerry W. Deaton -- Influence of Impact Parameters on the Response of Laminated Composite Plates / Damodar R. Ambur / James H. Starnes, Jr. / Chunchu B. Prasad -- Damage Tolerance and Arrest Characteristics of Pressurized Graphite/Epoxy Tape Cylinders / Claudia U. Ranniger / Paul A. Lagace / Michael J. Graves -- Fatigue and Fracture of the 767 Graphite Torsion Spring / Rick W. Bliss / Dennis L. Wheeler / Russell Maguire -- Fracture of Glass-Epoxy Laminates Under Torsion and Combined Tension-Torsion Load / Joyanto K. Sen / John C. Fish -- Influence of Realistic Ply-Drop Geometries on Interlaminar Stresses in Tapered Laminates / Anthony J. Vizzini -- Delamination in Composites with Terminating Internal Plies Under Tension Fatigue Loading / Michael R. Wisnom / M. I. Jones / Weicheng Cui.
- An experimental program and a finite element stress analysis were conducted to study delamination failures in glass-epoxy laminates subjected to torsion and combined tension-torsion loads. Nine laminate configurations with three ply orientations and three stacking sequences were evaluated. The failures consisted of through-the-thickness shear cracks in off-axis plies, which promoted delaminations at adjacent 0¿̐u interfaces. The predominant stress in all cases is the interlaminar shear stress, ?xz. Dispersing off-axis plies away from the laminate midplane increased the torsion load-carrying capability but did not significantly increase twist capability. The failure torque and twist angles were higher under combined tension-torsion loads than under torsion load alone due to the increased torsional rigidity and the compressive interlaminar normal stress induced by the tension load.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1995, Issue 1230 (January 1995)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 20.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition.
Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1995. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28002428