Fracture Toughness and Fatigue Properties of 5083-0 Plate and 5183 Welds for Liquefied Natural Gas Applications / JG. Kaufman, RA. Kelsey
- Conference Author:
- Properties of Materials for Liquefied Natural Gas Tankage (1974 : Boston, Mass.)
- West Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1975.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (21 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Kaufman, JG.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- The results of a number of investigations on the properties of 5083-0 plate and weldments of various thicknesses have been summarized. The data show that the tensile properties and toughness of 5083-0 plate at room and subzero temperatures remain about constant or decrease modestly with an increase in thickness from 1 to 9 in. and that the properties of 5083-0 plate formed into a spherical contour by the Alcoa 570 process are essentially the same as those of asrolled 5083-0 plate. Both strength and toughness are higher at -260 and -320¿̐ưF than at room temperature. The strength and toughness of 5183 welds at room temperature, -260, and -320¿̐ưF are equivalent to those of the parent plate. The high toughness of these products at those temperatures has been demonstrated by tests of relatively large-scale specimens, all of which have fractured by ductile tearing; conservative engineering estimates of KIc and Kc have been made based upon these results and those published in the literature. The fatigue crack propagation characteristics of these materials have been established and found to be largely unaffected by temperature, thickness, orientation, or location in the weld. Crack growth rates are faster in moist air than in dry air.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1975, Issue 579 (January 1975)
- 9780803146594 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 20.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1975. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28002820