Thermal Fatigue and Its Failure Prediction for Brittle Ceramics / DPH Hasselman, R. Badaliance, EP. Chen
- Conference Author:
- Thermal Fatigue of Materials and Components (1975 : New Orleans)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (14 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Badaliance, R., Chen, EP., Hasselman, DPH, American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
Subscription required for access to full text.
- The thermal fatigue behavior of a soda-lime-silica glass subjected to water quench and silicon-nitride subjected to thermal environment of a turbine engine was predicted from data of slow (subcritical) crack growth. A numerical integration technique was developed to calculate the extent of slow crack growth for each thermal cycle over the total duration of the transient thermal stress and temperature, as well as the total number of cycles required for catastrophic failure to occur. Good agreement between the predicted and experimental data was found. The results indicate that, for reliable prediction of thermal fatigue resistance, an estimate of critical flaw-depth based on a statistical (such as the Weibull) theory of brittle fracture is necessary.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1976, Issue 612 (January 1976)
- Other Subject(s):
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 21.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition.
Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1976. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28003098