Instability and Failure of Corrugated Core Sandwich Cylinders Under Combined Stress / P. Patel, T. Nordstrand, LA. Carlsson
- Conference Author:
- Multiaxial Fatigue and Deformation Testing Techniques (1995 : Denver, Colorado)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (26 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Carlsson, LA., Nordstrand, T., Patel, P., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- Collapse of corrugated board cylinders loaded in axial compression and combined compression/torque has been examined experimentally and analytically. Prior to the experimental study of the cylinders, a design analysis of the loading fixture and corrugated board cylinder were performed using the finite element method. A manufacturing technique of the specimens was also developed. The cylinders were tested on a tension/compression/torque MTS-machine at room temperature and 20 to 25% relative humidity. Experimental compressive force and torque at failure and failure initiation were in good agreement with prediction using the finite element analysis in conjunction with the Tsai-Wu failure criterion. Local buckling of the outer facing, between the corrugation tips, was observed prior to failure of the corrugated board cylinder. However, the failure initiated in regions different from those where local buckles appeared and at much larger stresses than those at the onset of local buckling. Thus, local buckling did not significantly influence the collapse load of the cylinder.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1997, Issue 1280 (January 1997)
- 9780803153523 (e-ISBN), 9780803120457, and 0803120451
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 23.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1997. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28003315