Ammonia and Mercury Stress-cracking Tests for Brass / Gerald Edmunds, E. A. Anderson, R. K. Waring
- Conference Author:
- Symposium on Stress-Corrosion Cracking of Metals (1944 : Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (12 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Edmunds, Gerald
Anderson, E. A.
Waring, R. K.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Brass is liable to failure under the combined influence of stress, certain corrosion media, and time, a phenomenon commonly termed season cracking or stress-corrosion cracking. The consequences of this are serious in applications of brass generally, including the important field of cartridge cases. Cartridge cases (70 Cu:3o Zn) that fail from this cause may allow the escape of gas from the gun breech, a hazard to the shooter, and may not eject, thus temporarily putting the gun out of action. In loaded cartridge cases, the stress present is partly residual from the drawing and necking operations and partly applied by the insertion of the projectile. Ammonia, present as a decomposition product of smokeless powder, air and moisture constitute corrosive media.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1945, Issue 64 (January 1945)
- 9780803159037 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 6.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1945. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28003333