A Fracture Mechanics Approach to the Analysis of Graphite/Epoxy Laminated Precracked Tension Panels / WI. Griffith, MF. Kanninen, EF. Rybicki
- Conference Author:
- Nondestructive Evaluation and Flaw Criticality for Composite Materials (1978 : Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (17 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Griffith, WI., Kanninen, MF., Rybicki, EF., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- A methodology for the prediction of fracture in fiber composite laminates under monotonically increasing load is presented. In the model, laminate behavior is based on damage growth in individual plies with a fracture mechanics approach being used to continually assess the damage in each ply. Within each ply, damage may occur by crack extension parallel to or perpendicular to the fiber orientation in the ply. Critical values of strain energy release rate for both modes of damage are inferred from experimental data on center-cracked, zero-degree unidirectional laminates. At present, interply interactions are neglected. Despite this severe oversimplification, a comparison of strength predictions from the laminate model shows reasonable agreement with experimental results, both quantitatively and qualitatively, for [0/90]4s, [¿̐ư45]4s, and [0/¿̐ư45/0]2s graphite/epoxy laminates. The features of the laminate model are contrasted with the models of a number of other researchers.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1979, Issue 696 (December 1979)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803147614 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 28.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1979. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28003414