A Gas Liquid-Gas Solid Chromatographic Method for the Identification of Sources of Oil Pollution / AE. George, GT. Smiley, DS. Montgomery, H. Sawatzky
- Conference Author:
- Water Quality Parameters (1973 : Burlington, Ontario, Canada)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (19 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- George, AE., Montgomery, DS., Sawatzky, H., Smiley, GT., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- A two-step gas chromatographic fingerprinting technique has been developed for the identification of petroleum that may be conveniently applied to oil spills. The first step consists of a gas chromatographic separation on nonpolar silicone rubber (SE-30) which separates according to boiling point. Five arbitrary 20¿̐ư cuts are made, then further separated by gas chromatography on columns of lithium chloride supported on diatomaceous silica (Chromosorb A). The advantage of this inorganic packing is its high thermal stability that permits the separation of high-boiling oil components not readily affected by weathering. It also has the added advantage of causing no ¿̐ưbleeding¿̐ư problems that can complicate further analyses involving mass spectroscopy. The simultaneous use of the flame ionization detector and the Melpar sulfur detector provides highly characteristic fingerprints, some of which are shown. This method has been applied to two heavy crude oils, and two fuel oils involved in oil spills from the Arrow and Irving Whale to demonstrate the potential of the method.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1975, Issue 573 (January 1975)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803155848 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 24.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1975. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28003456