Thin-film Adhesion and Adhesive Failure¿̐ưA Perspective / DM. Mattox
- Conference Author:
- Adhesion Measurement of Thin Films, Thick Films, and Bulk Coatings (1976 : Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (9 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Mattox, DM., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
Subscription required for access to full text.
- A practical definition of ¿̐ưgood adhesion¿̐ư is that the interfacial region (or nearby material) does not fail under service conditions nor at unacceptably low stress levels under test conditions. Adhesion is a macroscopic property that depends on the chemical and mechanical bonding across the interfacial region, the intrinsic stress and stress gradients, and the adhesive failure mode. The failure mode depends on the interfacial structure and the stress to which the interface is subjected. Good adhesion is promoted by: (1) strong bonding across the interfacial region, (2) low stress gradients, either from intrinsic or applied stress, (3) absence of easy fracture modes, and (4) no long-term degradation modes. Adhesion testing must take into account the possible deformation and fracture modes, and a testing program must be devised to test all aspects of adhesion.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1978, Issue 640 (January 1978)
- Other Subject(s):
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 57.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition.
Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1978. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28003639