Alginate and Chitosan Standards for Tissue Engineered Medical Products / M. Dornish, A. Dessen
- Conference Author:
- Tissue Engineered Medical Products (TEMPs) (2002 : Miami Beach, Florida)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (13 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Dornish, M.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- More often than not users of biopolymers obtain their starting materials from a chemical supply company. Documentation is often lacking and the user is not aware of the fact that a biopolymer's functionality in an application is inherently linked to its characteristics. As a manufacturer of ultrapure biopolymers we have often heard the comment that ¿̐ưyour biopolymer didn't work!¿̐ư More often than not, however, the functional properties of the polymer were not appropriate for the intended use. Variability in naturally occurring biopolymers can lead to failed formulations. Alginate and chitosan are biopolymers that may be used in TEMPs. Derived from natural sources, these materials are particularly complex, and thus exhibit significant variability. Consequently, in order to understand the full range of their properties there is a need for accurate characterization of these materials. The development of standards for such TEMP starting materials is necessary to ensure product uniformity, enable more complete and precise characterization and to inform both users and manufacturers of the relationships among composition, functional properties and utility. This can only lead to more successful TEMP formulations.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2004, Issue 1452 (January 2004)
- 9780803154971 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 35.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2004. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28003956