Use of Algae versus Vascular Plants to Test for Chemical Toxicity / JS. Fletcher
- Conference Author:
- Plants for Toxicity Assessment (1989 : Atlanta, Georgia)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (7 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Fletcher, JS., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- The credibility of using an algal plant as a surrogate for vascular plants in chemical toxicity testing was evaluated. Data taken from the PHYTOTOX database were used to estimate what proportion of the chemicals reported to influence vascular plants would also influence algae. The relative sensitivity of algae versus vascular plants to common herbicides was also examined. Analysis of the data suggested that approximately 20% of the time an algal screening test for chemical toxicity may not detect chemicals that elicit a response unique to the growth and development of vascular plants. Another conclusion was that no single plant type (algal, monocotyledon, or dicotyledon plant) can always be viewed as the least or most sensitive test system.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1990, Issue 1091 (January 1990)
- 9780803151482 (e-ISBN), 9780803113978, and 0803113978
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 8.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1990. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28004227