Degradation of Mechanical Properties of Stainless Steel Cladding Due to Neutron Irradiation and Thermal Aging / FM. Haggag
- Conference Author:
- Effects of Radiation on Materials: Sixteenth International Symposium (16th : 1992 : Aurora, CO)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (8 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Haggag, FM., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access. and Subscription required for access to full text.
- Thermal aging of three-wire series-arc stainless steel weld overlay cladding at 288¿̐ưC for 1605 h resulted in an appreciable decrease (16%) in the Charpy V-notch (CVN) upper-shelf energy (USE), but the effect on the 41-J transition temperature shift was very small (3¿̐ưC). The combined effect following neutron irradiation at 288¿̐ưC to a fluence of 5 x 1019 neutrons/cm2 ( >1 MeV) was a 22% reduction in the USE and a 29¿̐ưC shift in the 41-J transition temperature. The effect of thermal aging on tensile properties was very small. However, the combined effect of irradiation and aging was an increase in the yield strength (6 to 34% at test temperatures from 288 to -125¿̐ưC) and no apparent change in ultimate tensile strength or total elongation. Neutron irradiation reduced the initiation fracture toughness (JIc) much more than did thermal aging alone. However, irradiation slightly decreased the tearing modulus but no reduction was caused by thermal aging alone. The effects of long-term thermal exposure times (20,000 and 50,000 h) will be investigated when the specimens become available. Also, long-term thermal exposure of the three-wire cladding as well as type 308 stainless steel weld materials at 343¿̐ưC is in progress.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1994, Issue 1175 (January 1994)
- 0803114885, 9780803114883, and 9780803152625 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 5.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition., Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., and Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1994. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28004758