Corrosion-Fatigue Performance of Hip Nails : The Influence of Materials Selection and Design / HR. Piehler, MA. Portnoff, LE. Sloter, EJ. Vegdahl, JL. Gilbert, MJ. Weber
- Conference Author:
- Corrosion and Degradation of Implant Materials: Second Symposium (1983 : Louisville, Kentucky)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (12 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Piehler, HR.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Corrosion-fatigue performance is evaluated for several Jewett-type hip nails of different design tested in Ringer's solution. Other devices of similar design fabricated from Type 316L stainless steel and Ti-6AI-4V are tested as well. Microstructural and fractographic analyses of all devices are also performed. Present results confirm initial observations that the corrosion-fatigue performance of large-plate Jewetts exceeds that of small-plate devices. Devices of similar design except for the placement of the proximal screw hole in a centered or offset position are evaluated; the latter devices improved corrosion-fatigue performance. Comparison of Jewetts of similar design reveals that the corrosion-fatigue performance of the Ti-6AI-4V devices markedly exceeds that of the Type 316L, even in the presence of substantial fretting and wear.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1985, Issue 859 (January 1985)
- Fatigue (materials)
- Fretting fatigue
- Corrosion fatigue
- Fretting corrosion
- Fatigue-crack initiation
- Hip nails
- Medical instruments and apparatus
- Titanium alloys
- Stainless steels
- Implant materials
- Performance tests
- Orthopedic implants
- Biomedical materials—Corrosion—Congresses
- Implants, Artificial—Materials—Deterioration—Congresses
- Biomedical materials—Deterioration—Congresses
- Implants, Artificial—Materials—Corrosion—Congresses
- 9780803149267 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 13.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1985. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28004943