The Development of European Test Methods for the Measurement of Engine Oil Viscosities at Low Temperatures / MA. Vickars, FJ. Huby, CE. Jordan, TW. Bates, HD. M¿̐ưller
- Conference Author:
- Low Temperature Lubricant Rheology Measurement and Relevance to Engine Operation (1991 : Austin, TX)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (15 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Vickars, MA., Huby, FJ., Jordan, CE., Bates, TW., M¿̐ưller, HD., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- In response to the Society of Automotive Engineers' (SAE) desire to introduce cold-cranking viscosity limits measured at temperatures specified for each W-grade of engine oil, the Co-ordinating European Council (CEC) joined ASTM in 1982 in determining a precision statement for the so-called ¿̐ưMulti-Temperature CCS Method¿̐ư. In 1990, CEC again collaborated with ASTM in a similar round-robin test which this time yielded a precision sufficiently encouraging for ASTM to ballot for Standard Test Method status. Two new techniques (differential scanning calorimetry and gas chromatography simulated distillation) differentiated between a limited population of good and poor industry pumpability reference oils. These techniques indicated that some model SAE 10W-30 oils blended from ¿̐ưcritical¿̐ư base oils could be potential pumpability problem oils despite acceptable borderline pumping viscosities in the Brookfield viscometric using the TP-1 cooldown cycle. The DSC and GC techniques are recommended as screening tests when developing new formulations. The development of a low-temperature oil pumpability test method employing the Brookfield viscometer in conjunction with the cooling cycle adopted in ASTM D4684-86 is described. Reference is made to a new, European-designed, high-precision viscometer for the measurement of low-temperature cranking viscosities.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1992, Issue 1143 (January 1992)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803152014 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 7.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1992. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28005433