Maintaining Scale and Sludge in Suspension in Automotive Cooling Systems / J. Starkey, PR. Engelhardt
- Conference Author:
- Engine Coolant Testing: Second Symposium (2nd : 1984 : Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (8 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Engelhardt, PR.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
Subscription required for access to full text.
- The automotive cooling system will have hardness present as a result of the water supplies used. This hardness along with the inhibitors in the antifreeze can lead to scale deposits forming, especially in high heat transfer areas. Corrosion products can also form and contribute to sludges in the coolant system. These deposits and sludges can reduce heat transfer, block radiators causing higher operating temperatures, and plug heater cores. Experimental tests were conducted to determine the effectiveness of different commercial antifreezes as scale and sludge inhibitors in a laboratory test boiler. The addition of an environmentally safe organic additive to a commercial antifreeze gives better scale inhibition on a high heat transfer surface than the same antifreeze without the additive. The amount of scale was determined and was analyzed.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1986, Issue 887 (January 1986)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 2.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition.
Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1986. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28005695