The Statistics of Small Data Sets / RO. Ball, MW. Hahn
- Conference Author:
- Superfund Risk Assessment in Soil Contamination Studies: Third Volume (3rd : 1998 : San Diego, California)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (14 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Ball, RO.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- A primary concern in Risk-Based Corrective Action (RBCA) is the decision criteria for evaluating attainment of cleanup objectives. Carcinogenic compounds (with long modeled exposure duration) typically drive remediation at most sites. The statistic for comparison with the risk-based cleanup objective should therefore be an upper bound estimate (the ¿̐ưReasonable Maximum Exposure¿̐ư [RME]) for the true spatially averaged concentration. Contaminant concentrations in soil are inherently lognormally distributed. Small simulated ¿̐ưsample sets¿̐ư selected at random from a lognormal distribution were used to test the accuracy and stability of the statistical method recommended in Superfund guidance and that recommended in RCRA SW-846 (using the log transformation). The results show that the geomean is the more accurate and stable estimator of true average exposure concentration and that the 90% Upper Confidence Limit of the geomean is a conservative statistic for comparison with risk-based standards.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1998, Issue 1338 (January 1998)
- 9780803153882 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 15.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1998. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28005738