Spatial Nonuniformities in the Minority-Carrier Diffusion Length/Lifetime : Measurement and Implications on a Large-Area Device Performance / BL. Sopori, W. Chen, M. Symko
- Conference Author:
- Recombination Lifetime Measurements in Silicon (1997 : Santa Clara, CA)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (16 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Chen, W., Sopori, BL., Symko, M., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- Measurement of the minority-carrier diffusion length (L) or lifetime (?) in a nonuniform material, such as a photovoltaic (PV) silicon substrate, can pose major challenges. In general, a measured value is meaningful only if the size of the probe beam >> L, and the material is uniform in and around the region of measurement. When the measurement conditions differ from these, there is a net flow of generated carriers from the illuminated region into the unilluminated region, and/or an exchange of carriers within the neighboring regions. In these cases, the error can arise from two mechanisms: (i) recombination at the surface, and (ii) exchange of carriers within regions of different diffusion lengths. These errors can be minimized by the proper selection of the carrier generation conditions and sample preparation. By combining the experimental results with less rigorous theoretical analyses, the conditions for the measurement of local values of L (or ?) in a PV substrate can be determined. A network model can be used to integrate the influence of spatial distribution of L-values on a nonuniform substrate and predict the electrical characteristics of the large-area device fabricated on it.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1998, Issue 1340 (January 1998)
- 9780803153899 (e-ISBN), 9780803124899, and 0803124899
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 8.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1998. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28005788