Wide-Plate Crack-Arrest Testing : Evolution of Experimental Procedures / R. deWit, SR. Low, RJ. Fields
- Conference Author:
- Fracture Mechanics: Nineteenth Symposium (19th : 1986 : San Antonio, TX)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (12 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- deWit, R., Low, SR., Fields, RJ., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- Between September 1984 and December 1985, five wide-plate crack-arrest tests on A533B quenched and tempered steel were carried out on the 26-MN tensile capacity universal testing machine at the National Bureau of Standards. Each test was different with respect to the conditions of testing, specimen configuration, and instrumentation used to monitor the dynamic response of the specimen during crack propagation and subsequent arrest. The progressive changes in test procedure discussed here represent attempts to obtain desired crack-run and crack-arrest behavior and to improve the quality of the data collected. Also, the optimization of strain gage locations and the final choice of recording instrumentation are reported in detail. Two techniques for measuring crack velocity are compared. Efforts to cause crack initiation and propagation at lower values of stress-intensity factor than were found in the first test are also discussed.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1988, Issue 969 (January 1988)
- 9780803150416 (e-ISBN), 9780803109728, and 0803109725
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 9.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1988. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28005923