Tension and Compression Testing of Metal Matrix Composite Materials / JM. Kennedy
- Conference Author:
- Metal Matrix Composites: Testing, Analysis, and Failure Modes (1988 : Sparks, NV)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (12 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Kennedy, JM.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Tension and compression test methods for metal matrix composite materials are reviewed in light of experimental and analytical results. These data showed that test results, in particular compressive strength, depend on the test method. Results from a new side-support compression test method where aluminum honeycomb was used as the side-support material are discussed. A simple buckling analysis showed that the support provided by the honeycomb was sufficient to stabilize the specimen. Experimental results showed that the honeycomb, unlike solid metal side-support plates, did not suppress the local buckling failure mode. Results from tests on several boron-aluminum laminates showed that there is significant difference in both stiffness and strength between the honeycomb and steel side-support methods.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1989, Issue 1032 (January 1989)
- 9780803150898 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 5.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1989. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28005978