Strength Studies of Scarf Joints in Laminated Wood Beams / J. Longworth, CKA Stieda
- Conference Author:
- Papers on Building Constructions Symposium on Wood in Building Constructions Symposium on Methods for Testing Building Constructions (1959 : San Francisco, Calif.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (14 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Longworth, J
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
Subscription required for access to full text.
- Tests were conducted on laminated wood beams to investigate¿̐ư(a) the effect of single hooked and end-stepped scarf joints and plain scarf joints placed in the outer tension lamination, (b) the effect of planing surface end steps of hooked scarf joints and surface feather edges of plain scarf joints, and (c) the effect of various spacings of plain scarf joints. Results indicate that the reduction in strength produced by hooked and end-stepped scarf joints is of greater magnitude than calculated in accordance with present Canadian Standards Assn. (CSA) Specifications. Planing the surface end step of a scarf joint produced a strength comparable to that of a beam containing no scarf joints. Planing surface feather edges of plain scarfs also resulted in an increase in strength. There was no significant difference in the strength of beams containing three different spacing patterns, indicating that the strength of a beam is governed essentially by the strength of the joint in the extreme tension lamination when that joint is at a section of maximum bending moment.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1960, Issue 282 (January 1960)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 6.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition.
Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1960. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28006488