A Dicyanate Semi-Interpenetrating Polymer Network (SIPN) Matrix Composite / JT. Hartness
- Conference Author:
- Toughened Composites (1985 : Houston, Texas)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (10 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Hartness, JT., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
Subscription required for access to full text.
- As advanced composites continue to be needed as primary and secondary structures on aircraft, in recent years there has been an emphasis on damage tolerant composites that will increase the allowable strain level as well as improve low velocity impact performance. A unique approach to solving these problems has been the use of a semi-interpenetrating polymer network (SIPN) as a composite matrix. An example of a semi-interpenetrating polymer network is one that combines a thermoplastic with a thermoset. Both types of materials have their inherent advantages and disadvantages. Thermoplastics offer substantial improvements in toughness and potential processing, but have limits in upper temperature use and often have unacceptable solvent resistance. Thermosets, on the other hand, often have high use temperatures, but are inherently brittle and often are susceptible because of moisture sensitivity.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1987, Issue 937 (January 1987)
- Other Subject(s):
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 5.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition.
Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1987. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28006753