The Determination of Subsieve Particle Size Distributions by Sedimentation Methods / S. W. Martin
- Conference Author:
- Symposium on New Methods for Particle Size Determination in the Subsieve Range (1941 : Washington, D.C.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (24 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Martin, S. W., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- Given a polydisperse solid-liquid system, two fundamental principles are operative in the determination of subsieve particle size distributions by sedimentation methods. (1) Stokes' law as applied to gravitational or centrifugal sedimentation gives a continuous scale of measurement for subsieve particle sizes. Inherent in its derivation are a number of assumptions. Therefore, an evaluation is made of the limitations within which sedimentation methods yield valid results. (2) The cumulative settling law applies directly to the distribution of sizes and permits a classification of gravity methods into cumulative, accurate incremental and approximate measurements. The resulting distributions are thus established for the simplest type of sedimentation, which in turn has been extensively investigated.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1941, Issue 51 (January 1941)
- 9780803159006 (e-ISBN), 9780803160545, and 0803160542
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 63.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1941. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28006787