On Using Laboratory Measurements to Predict Corrosion Service Lives for Engineering Applications / Richard E. Ricker
- Conference Author:
- Advances in Electrochemical Techniques for Corrosion Monitoring and Measurement (2007 : Norfolk, VA)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (14 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Ricker, Richard E., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Issues concerning corrosion service life predictions on the basis of laboratory measurements are examined. Models for corrosion service life prediction will reduce corrosion failures and operation costs by enabling better design, alloy selection, full life-cycle cost analysis, and operation. An expected value approach for estimating corrosion damage accumulation and failure rates is proposed. Examination of this approach indicates that understanding the uncertainties due to the variability of the exposure environments will be a critical element of these predictions. It is concluded that, with properly developed, evaluated, and standardized corrosion defect sample designs and propagation rate measurement techniques, it will be possible to develop corrosion defect tolerant design approaches analogous to those used successfully to prevent fatigue failures.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2009, Issue 1506 (January 2009)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803169975 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 19.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2009. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28006812