Fatigue Life of Weathered Stainless Steel Wire Reported / J. H. Rigo
- Conference Author:
- Stainless Steel for Architectural Use (1968 : San Francisco, Calif.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (4 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Rigo, J. H., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- A technical paper, entitled ¿̐ưFatigue Life of Stainless Steel Wires after Atmospheric Exposure for Seven Years,¿̐ư by J. H. Rigo, was also presented on the progress made in a current study of Subcommittee IV on Methods of Corrosion Testing. This study represents an initial effort to correlate the fatigue life of 0.104-in.-diameter stainless-steel wire with atmospheric exposure at five geographical locations. Seven of the fifteen years of the planned exposure period have elapsed with some interesting and thought-provoking results. No final conclusions have been drawn on the engineering significance of the changes in fatigue life observed to date. Conclusions are purposely postponed until more complete fatigue-life data are available and a better understanding of the significance of the changes in fatigue life can be acquired on samples weathered for 15 years. The author reported a statistically significant loss in fatigue life at the one test-stress level used to date for the three grades of stainless steel tested, AISI Types 430, 302, and 316. No probable cause of the observed losses in fatigue life at the selected stress level has been established. The steels have not aged, and the general appearance of the wire after exposure is a poor criterion of fatigue life. Because of its technical detail and potential appeal only to those engineers and scientists who are interested in fatigue, the complete technical paper is not reproduced here.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1969, Issue 454 (January 1969)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803167285 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1969. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28006963