Computerized Materials Data in Aerospace Applications / CD. Little, TE. Coyle
- Conference Author:
- Computerization and Networking of Materials Data Bases (1987 : Philadelphia, PA)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (11 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Coyle, TE., Little, CD., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- The impact of computerized and networked materials data in the aerospace industry is conveyed by a description of its introduction, operation, and expansion plans in the Fort Worth Division of General Dynamics Corporation (GDFW). Like most other companies involved in the design and manufacture of aerospace systems and vehicles, GDFW was committed to an orderly buildup of Computer Aided Design (CAD) and Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM) capabilities in the early 1970s. This milestone was followed in the 1980s by a commitment to integrate all computerized analysis and other support functions into the design process. This included the development and implementation of a computerized Engineering Materials Property Data Base (EMPDB), accessible by designers and analysts from their electronic workstations. The scope, development, and operation of the EMPDB is discussed here. Current and future expansion of computerized materials data bases through networking is addressed. Materials engineering files and other resources are now being shared through Local Area Networks (LANs). A computerized Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) is now in the procurement cycle and will be operational in 1988. This information will be shared with other General Dynamics divisions and offices throughout the nation via Electronic Mail Office System (EMOS) through corporate-wide networks.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1989, Issue 1017 (January 1989)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803150782 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 17.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1989. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28007058