Fire Tests for Non-Melting Plastic Rooflight Materials / MM. Khan, RL. Alpert, GA. Smith
- Conference Author:
- Roofing Research and Standards Development: 5th Volume (5th : 2003 : Tampa, Florida)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (16 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Smith, GA., Alpert, RL., Khan, MM., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- A dimensionless ¿̐ưflame acceleration factor¿̐ư (FAF) based on an existing concurrent flame spread model that includes consideration of fuel burnout, has been used to evaluate the flame spread on thin rooflight (or skylight) materials. The FAF is a function of ignition time, burning duration and chemical heat release rate obtained from bench-scale tests in the ASTM E-2058 Fire Propagation Apparatus (FPA). A direct correlation between the FAF values and the extent of flame spread over eighteen thin polymeric rooflight materials (1.0¿̐ư3.3 mm thick and 1.4¿̐ư4.0 kg/m2 areal density) measured in large-scale tests in the ASTM E108 Test Apparatus has been presented in this paper. In accordance with the model prediction, the flame spread remains within the propane burner flame exposure region in E-108 tests when FAF < 0. Flame spread is distinctly beyond the exposure source when the FAF > 0, except for the case of some extensive melting thermoplastics. This model does not take the melting phenomenon into account.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2003, Issue 1451 (January 2003)
- 9780803154889 (e-ISBN), 9780803134690, and 080313469X
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 11.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2003. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28007067