Passivation in Rare Earth Metal Chlorides¿̐ưA New Conversion Coating Process for Aluminum Alloys / H. Shih, F. Mansfeld
- Conference Author:
- New Methods for Corrosion Testing of Aluminum Alloys (1990 : San Francisco, California)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (16 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Mansfeld, F., Shih, H., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- Investigations in this laboratory have shown that immersion of Al 6061-T6 and Al 7075-T6 in 1000 ppm CeCl3 produces very corrosion-resistant surfaces. For Al 6061-T6 that had been treated in 1000 ppm CeCl3 for one week, pitting did not occur in 0.5N NaCl for two months. Similar results have been obtained for immersion in NdCl3 and PrCl3, but not in LaCl3 and YCl3. The effects of the concentration of the passivation solutions, the length of exposure time and type of surface preparation have been investigated in more detail using electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS) and d-c techniques. EIS data and d-c polarization curves have been determined during the passivation process and during subsequent exposure to NaCl. In addition, surface analysis has been performed using scanning electron microscopy with energy-dispersive X-ray analysis (SEM/EDAX) and scanning Auger electron spectroscopy (AES). More recent efforts have concentrated on shortening the passivation time. Comparisons with the corrosion behavior of chromate conversion coated aluminum alloys suggest that passivation in rare earth metal chlorides can produce surface films with a corrosion resistance similar to that provided by chromate conversion coatings.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1992, Issue 1134 (January 1992)
- 9780803151956 (e-ISBN), 9780803114357, and 0803114354
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 15.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1992. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28007106