Survey of Diesel Fuel Oils Available at Roadside Filling Stations / William A. Howe
- Conference Author:
- Symposium on Diesel Fuels (1954 : Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (2 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Howe, William A.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
Subscription required for access to full text.
- For two years, 1952 and 1953, the Gulf Oil Corp. conducted a diesel fuel survey of fuels available at highway truck stops. This survey was conducted in the following manner: in each of Gulf Oil Corp.'s 107 districts, in 39 states, instructions were given to secure samples of two to four brands of high-volume diesel fuels available on the main trucking routes. The instructions also stipulated that if more than one grade of fuel was available at any one truck stop a sample of each grade should be secured. From April to June of 1952, some 400 such samples were secured and analyzed, and in August, September, and October, 1953, 327 samples were secured and analyzed. This survey was conducted to determine what grades and types of diesel fuels are actually available to over-the-road truckers when it is necessary for them to refuel en route or between terminals. The results of the survey also indicated, but to a somewhat lesser extent, the grades and types of diesel fuels available to bus and truck fleet terminals. It was considered that the survey was necessary due to presumptions on the part of some diesel engine manufacturers and diesel engine operators that certain classes of fuels were available rather generally, whereas it was believed that the contrary was the case. The samples were analyzed for various data, but for this discussion only sulfur, cetane index, and the end point of the fuels are under consideration. In Table I are given the results on these items for 1952 and 1953.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1954, Issue 167 (January 1954)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition.
Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1954. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28007325