A Comparison of Analysis Tools for Predicting the Inelastic Cyclic Response of Cross-Ply Titanium Matrix Composites / JL. Kroupa, RW. Neu, T. Nicholas, D. Coker, DD. Robertson, S. Mall
- Conference Author:
- Life Prediction Methodology for Titanium Matrix Composites (1994 : Hilton Head Island, South Carolina)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (31 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Coker, D., Kroupa, JL., Mall, S., Neu, RW., Nicholas, T., Robertson, DD., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Several micromechanical models that are currently being used for predicting the thermal and mechanical behavior of a cross-ply, [0/90], titanium matrix composite are evaluated. Six computer programs or methods are compared: (1) VISCOPLY; (2) METCAN; (3) FIDEP, an enhanced concentric cylinder model; (4) LISOL, a modified method of cells approach; (5) an elementary approach where the  ply is assumed to have the same properties as the matrix; and (6) a finite element method. Comparisons are made for the thermal residual stresses at room temperature resulting from processing, as well as for stresses and strains in two isothermal and two thermomechanical fatigue test cases. For each case, the laminate response of the models is compared to experimental behavior, while the responses of the constituents are compared among the models. The capability of each model to predict frequency effects, inelastic cyclic strain (hysteresis) behavior, and strain ratchetting with cycling is shown. The basis of formulation for the micromechanical models, the constitutive relationships used for the matrix and fiber, and the modeling technique of the  ply are all found to be important factors for determining the accurate behavior of the [0/90] composite.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1996, Issue 1253 (January 1996)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803153202 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 40.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1996. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28007505