Effects of Closure on the Fatigue Crack Growth of Small Surface Cracks in a High-Strength Titanium Alloy / JR. Jira, T. Weerasooriya, T. Nicholas, JM. Larsen
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Fatigue crack growth experiments were conducted on surface flaws in a high-strength titanium alloy. Surface crack lengths in the range 50-?m to 8 mm were investigated under both increasing and decreasing ?K conditions. Crack length and closure loads were determined from load-displacement data obtained with the aid of a laser interferometric displacement gage, which has resolution capability at 0.01 ?m. Stress ratios of 0.1, 0.5, and ¿̐ư1.0 and net-section stress levels from 0.2 to 0.9 of yield stress were utilized. The applied stress intensity factor range, ?K, correlated crack-growth-rate data for R = 0.1 and R = ¿̐ư1, but all R = 0.5 data fell along a separate band. The effective stress intensity factor range ?Keff determined from closure data, consolidated most of the data into a single band, but some small-crack data fell outside the band. Fracture surface roughness and plasticity were concluded to be the primary features contributing to crack closure.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1988, Issue 982 (January 1988)
- 9780803150522 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 25.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1988. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28007578