A New Consolidation Testing Procedure and Technique for Very Soft Soils / K. Zen, Y. Umehara
- Conference Author:
- Consolidation of Soils: Testing and Evaluation (1985 : Ft. Lauderdale, Florida)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (28 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Umehara, Y., Zen, K., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access. and Subscription required for access to full text.
- A new constant rate of strain consolidation testing technique for very soft soils with water content of 200 to 300% is proposed as an alternative of the conventional oedometer test. For the analysis of data from the constant rate of strain (CRS) consolidation test, three kinds of diagrams are constructed based on the finite-difference solutions for the basic equation of consolidation, taking into account the effect of large strain. It is shown that the consolidation constants are conveniently determined by using these diagrams. The validity of this method is examined by analyzing the consolidation phenomena of a model fill using the consolidation constants thus determined. It is concluded that the consolidation constants of very soft clays can be accurately determined from the CRS consolidation test.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1986, Issue 892 (January 1986)
- 0803104464, 9780803104464, and 9780803149625 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 6.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition., Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., and Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1986. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28008385