Unified Treatment of Deep and Shallow Notches in Rotating Bending Fatigue / H. Nisitani, M. Endo
- Conference Author:
- Basic Questions in Fatigue: Volume I (1st : 1984 : Dallas, Texas)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (18 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Endo, M
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- As a concept useful for evaluating the strength of notched members, ¿̐ưlinear notch mechanics¿̐ư is proposed. It is explained by this concept that the elastic-plastic behavior near the root of a notch under the condition of small-scale yielding is controlled by the maximum elastic stress ?max and the notch root radius ? alone, independently of the other notch geometries. In order to confirm the effectiveness of ¿̐ưlinear notch mechanics¿̐ư in fatigue problems, rotating bending fatigue tests are carried out on notched steel specimens having widely varying notch geometries. Moreover, the fatigue notch effects of extremely shallow notches, whose depths are of the order of the grain size, are also discussed.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1988, Issue 924 (January 1988)
- Crack initiation
- Crack propagation
- Fatigue (materials)
- Fatigue limit
- Linear fracture mechanics
- Linear notch mechanics
- Maximum elastic stress
- Nonpropagating crack
- Notch effects
- Notch root radius
- Plastic zone sizes
- Stress concentration factors
- Stress-intensity factors
- 9780803150348 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 31.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1988. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28008545