Fatigue Life Improvement by Cold Working Fastener Holes in 7050 Aluminum / MW. Ozelton, TG. Coyle
- Conference Author:
- Fatigue in Mechanically Fastened Composite and Metallic Joints (1985 : Charleston, South Carolina)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (17 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Coyle, TG.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
Subscription required for access to full text.
- The effect of cold working on the fatigue life of 7050-T7451 aluminum that contained fastener holes was investigated. The holes were cold worked using the split sleeve technique. The fatigue life improvement achieved by inserting interference fit fasteners in both cold worked and non-cold worked holes was also determined. Fatigue tests were conducted under constant amplitude loading conditions. Additional evaluations were conducted, including determinations of the effects of precracks emanating from the hole (introduced prior to cold working), specimen orientation, and the amount of material reamed from a hole following cold working. Fractographic and metallographic analyses were undertaken to determine typical crack initiation sites. Cold working of fastener holes in 7050-T7451 increased the fatigue life by a factor of up to five, depending upon the specific cold work and fatigue test parameters employed. The insertion of interference fit fasteners also significantly increased fatigue life. Contributions from interference fit fasteners and cold working of holes were synergistic. The introduction of a precrack prior to cold working the hole reduced fatigue life, though precracked material containing a cold worked hole exhibited a greater fatigue life than if the hole had not been cold worked. The optimum amount of material that should be reamed from a hole after split sleeve cold working to give the maximum fatigue life for given test parameters was determined.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1986, Issue 927 (January 1986)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 2.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition.
Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1986. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28008734