Assessment of Strength-Probability-Time Relationships in Ceramics / EM. Lenoe, DM. Neal
- Conference Author:
- Cracks and Fracture (1975 : Pittsburgh, Pa.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (23 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Lenoe, EM., Neal, DM., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- In the past few years a number of test procedures have evolved as a result of attempts to observe stable crack growth in ceramics under constant stress conditions. The experimental procedures have included double cantilever, double torsion, in-plane moment, and controlled flaws in beam bending tests. These procedures are briefly reviewed. Available slow crack growth data for hot pressed silicon nitride, which has been presented in the literature, is utilized to estimate survival times for various stress levels. The computations are completed in several ways: (a) use of strength data obtained at various loading rates; (b) deterministic integration of the equations; and (c) in a Monte Carlo sense, wherein the controlling parameters are assumed to possess realistic variability. The end product of each set of computations is a design stress-survival time relationship, and the purpose of this paper is to compare these life estimates and comment on the adequacy of each method.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1976, Issue 601 (January 1976)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803146761 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 33.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1976. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28009338