Analysis of a Failed Saw Arbor / CK. Clarke
- Conference Author:
- Case Histories Involving Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics (1985 : Charleston, South Carolina)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (8 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Clarke, CK., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- Stress analyses incorporating stress concentration, fatigue, and fracture calculations should be an important aspect of failure analyses. The following description of a saw arbor failure provides a simple example of this necessity. The failure was a classical stepped shaft in bending fatigue failure. Stress concentration at the change in diameters was calculated to be a factor of five. However, stress calculations revealed normally expected stresses to be well below the endurance limit even with the stress concentration effects. Additional investigation revealed evidence for severe imbalance loads from one saw blade. It was hypothesized that some of the teeth from the carbide tipped saw had been knocked off, and the resulting imbalance loads were more than sufficient to initiate fatigue cracking.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1986, Issue 918 (January 1986)
- 9780803149830 (e-ISBN), 9780803104853, and 0803104855
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 3.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1986. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28009492