Using Maximum Likelihood Techniques in Evaluating Fatigue Crack Growth Curves / SE. Cunningham, CG. Annis
- Conference Author:
- Automation in Fatigue and Fracture: Testing and Analysis (1992 : Paris, France)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (13 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Annis, CG., Cunningham, SE., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
Subscription required for access to full text.
- Maximum likelihood is used to develop a quantitative means for defining confidence bounds on single crack growth curves and for comparing more than one crack growth curve. The concept of likelihood is discussed, the technique is applied to the Paris crack growth law, and statistical tests appropriate for pertinent comparative situations are reviewed. Examples of each test are examined, contrasted, and compared, and a practice for engineering comparisons of crack growth rate curves is suggested. Examples using data generated in the Fracture Mechanics Lab at Pratt & Whitney are presented and discussed. These discussions will lead to a final point regarding the role of statistical methods in augmenting engineering judgment and experience.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1994, Issue 1231 (January 1994)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 5.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition.
Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1994. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28009640