The Willow Island Collapse : A Maturity Case Study / GT. Halvorsen, A. Farahmandnia
- Conference Author:
- Temperature Effects on Concrete (1983 : Kansas City, Missouri)
- West Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1985.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (9 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Farahmandnia, A.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- The Willow Island cooling tower collapse of April 1978 is reviewed with respect to the development of concrete maturity during construction. The tower shell was constructed during the fall and spring prior to the collapse. Fall and spring weather conditions were similar with regard to the potential for concrete strength development. However, an increased pace of construction in the spring effectively decreased the maturity of the concrete at the time it was subjected to construction loads. More than half of the concrete lifts placed during the spring construction of the cooling tower shell were supported by concrete with a maturity similar to that of the concrete in Lift 28, which failed during the placement of Lift 29. The collapse might have occurred sooner if several days of rainy weather had not apparently delayed the construction.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1985, Issue 858 (January 1985)
- 9780803149250 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 13.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1985. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28009682