Knee Point and Post-Failure Behavior of Some Laminated Composites Subjected to Uniaxial Tension / H. Ohira, N. Uda
- Conference Author:
- Recent Advances in Composites in the United States and Japan (1983 : Hampton, Virginia)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (18 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Ohira, H., Uda, N., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- To investigate the phenomenon of initial failure, the post-failure behavior and the behavior under unloading and reloading, uniaxial tension tests were conducted on three kinds of laminated carbon fiber reinforced plastic coupon specimens, that is, ¿̐ư30-deg, 90-deg laminates, ¿̐ư45-deg, 90-deg laminates and 0-deg, 90-deg laminates. The test results are compared with the authors' theory. In the experimental stress-strain diagram, the notable incremental strain at a constant stress level was observed at the knee point, that is, the point of initial failure. This indicates that the assumption of the brittle matrix of the composite is adequate for the specimens tested, and the assumption of the ductile matrix is invalid. An inverse method is presented which makes it possible to estimate the failure stresses of constituent layers and also the effective curing temperature of an individual laminate from the experimental stress-strain diagram. The experiment showed that the unloading path is in agreement with one of two possible theoretical predictions. The reloading path coincided with the unloading path.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1985, Issue 864 (January 1985)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803149298 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 6.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1985. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28009720