First-Ply Failure of Graphite/Epoxy Laminates / MD. Kistner, JM. Whitney, CE. Browning
- Conference Author:
- Recent Advances in Composites in the United States and Japan (1983 : Hampton, Virginia)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (18 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Browning, CE., Kistner, MD., Whitney, JM., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
Subscription required for access to full text.
- In situ transverse-ply failure in AS-4/3502 graphite/epoxy laminates is investigated by determining crack density as a function of laminate axial strain. These results are then related to laminate stress-strain response. Results show that plateaus in either the longitudinal or transverse stress-strain curve are associated with a significant increase in transverse-ply crack density. Stress analysis reveals a departure of inplane stresses from classical lamination theory near free edges. These stresses are found to be a function of laminate-ply orientations and stacking sequence. Thus, the onset of transverse-ply cracking may be influenced by the free edge in a standard tensile coupon.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1985, Issue 864 (January 1985)
- Other Subject(s):
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 11.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition.
Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1985. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28009736