Application of Thermal Mechanical Analysis to Organic Coatings / CK. Schoff, P. Kamarchik
- Conference Author:
- Materials Characterization by Thermomechanical Analysis (1990 : Philadelphia, PA)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (12 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Kamarchik, P., Schoff, CK., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- The performance of an organic coating is highly dependent on its physical and mechanical properties and their variation with temperature. A variety of thermal mechanical methods may be used to define these properties. This paper demonstrates the importance of penetration/indentation methods in the characterization of organic coatings. The use of a thermal mechanical analyzer (TMA) and the ICI Microindentometer to establish softening points, degree of cure, elastic modulus, and indentation hardness and creep is described. Dynamic methods have tended to take over from penetration/indentation techniques in recent years, but the latter still are the only ones that can be used on most field samples (for example, specimens cut from beer cans, car hoods, and washing machines, pieces of metal siding from buildings, chunks of outboard motor castings, and so forth). Typical measurements and their significance in problem solving and coatings evaluation are presented and discussed. The difficulties of dealing with thin films (25 ?m or less) and multicoat systems also are addressed. The paper closes with a discussion of the interfacing of a TMA with a computer for better data collection and analysis.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1991, Issue 1136 (January 1991)
- 9780803151789 (e-ISBN), 9780803114340, and 0803114346
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 12.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1991. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28009939