On the Quantification of the Constraint Effect Along a Three-Dimensional Crack Front / Xin Wang
- Conference Author:
- Seventh International ASTM/ESIS Symposium on Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics (36th ASTM National Symposium on Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics) (7th : 2007 : Tampa, FL)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (16 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Wang, Xin
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- In this paper we examined the characterization of constraint effects for surface cracked plates under uniaxial and biaxial tension loadings. First, three-dimensional (3D) modified boundary layer analyses were conducted using the finite element method to study the constraint effect at a typical 3D crack front. The analyses were carried out using small geometry change formulation and deformation plasticity material model. Elastic-plastic crack front stress fields at a constant J and various T-stress levels were obtained. Three-dimensional elastic-plastic analyses were performed for semi-circular surface cracks in a finite thickness plate, under remote uniaxial and biaxial tension loading conditions. In topological planes perpendicular to the crack fronts, the crack stress fields were obtained. Then, J-Q and J-T two-parameter approaches are used in characterizing the elastic-plastic crack-tip stress fields along the 3D crack front. It is found that the J-Q characterization provides good estimate for the constraint effect for crack-tip stress fields. Reasonable agreements are achieved between the T-stress based Q-factors and the Q-factors obtained from finite element analysis.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2009, Issue 1508 (January 2009)
- 9780803169999 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 14.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2009. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28010021