Fatigue Behavior of Adhesively Bonded Aluminium Double Strap Joints / A. E. Nolting, P. R. Underhill, D. L. DuQuesnay
- Conference Author:
- Seventh International ASTM/ESIS Symposium on Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics (36th ASTM National Symposium on Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics) (7th : 2007 : Tampa, FL)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (17 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Underhill, P. R., DuQuesnay, D. L., Nolting, A. E., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- The fatigue life and failure mode of double strap joints constructed from bare and clad aluminum alloys were examined. Substrate failures were found to occur at lower stress levels, while the failure mode at higher stresses was debonding of the patches. The stress/strain state at the edge of the patch was altered by changing the patch thickness, patch modulus, or by tapering the edges of the patch. The specimens were modeled using finite element analysis. The results of the finite element analysis revealed a power law relationship between fatigue life and either the peak principal strain in the adhesive for adhesive failures, or the nominal axial stress in the substrate for substrate failures. The fatigue life and failure mode of a double strap joint specimen can be determined by calculating the failure life for that specimen under adhesive and substrate failure. The failure mode with the shortest life will indicate the failure mode and fatigue life of that specimen.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2009, Issue 1508 (January 2009)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803169999 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 25.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2009. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28010040