A Method to Evaluate Motion at the Bone Fracture Interface on Intramedullary Nailing / GE. Lynch, JA. Davidson
- Conference Author:
- Intramedullary Rods: Clinical Performance and Related Laboratory Testing (1987 : Cincinnati, Ohio)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (7 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Davidson, JA.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
Subscription required for access to full text.
- Two methods were used to evaluate motion at the fracture site in cadaver femurs stabilized with intramedullary (IM) nails. Both bending stability at the fracture site and torsional stability of slotted and unslotted IM nails were evaluated. The first method was to manually measure the rotational stability of the device itself. The second method characterized the fracture displacement in a femur under anatomical load. Both slotted and nonslotted stainless-steel IM nails were fixed statically (proximal and distal screw fixation) in identical cadaver femurs. The distal end of each femur was fixed in epoxy and a circumferential saw cut carefully made at the mid-shaft location. The load was physiologically applied at a 12-deg angle anteriorly in the anterior-posterior plane. Displacements at the fracture site were recorded as a function of the applied load.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1989, Issue 1008 (January 1989)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 2.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition.
Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1989. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28010424